Medical Technologist II / III
JOB TITLE: Medical Technologist FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Laboratory Manager EFFECTIVE DATE: ASAP
The Medical Technologist performs laboratory testing in accordance with the Division of Clinical Laboratory Standards and pursuant to Florida Department of Professional Regulation, Chapter 64B3-13.003. Perform competency validated laboratory procedures ordered by appropriate medical staff and physician. Oversees the day to day operations of various lab sections in the absence of a manager.
Position does not supervise anyone.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Demonstrate competency in laboratory procedures within the scope of practice. Provide all aspects of diagnostic laboratory procedures based on established standards. Perform testing in a timely manner and ensure department staff adhere to established turnaround time goals.
• Adheres to department policies and procedures. Completes assigned policy and procedure review assignments in a timely manner. Maintains current knowledge of AABB, CAP, State of Florida, and Federal regulatory requirements for the clinical laboratory. Complies with all applicable regulatory and accreditation standards.
• Participates in proficiency testing program as assigned. Ensures that proficiency testing deadlines are met and samples are analyzed in the same manner as patient samples.
• Performs all assigned preventative maintenance, calibration, and quality control testing as scheduled, to include appropriate documentation and review.
• Troubleshoots and documents analyzer problems. Informs onsite lab supervisor of anticipated delays due to extended downtime.
• Perform other duties as assigned by department manager.
• Minimum two years’ experience
• PCR experience preferred
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Ability and willingness to work flexible schedules, including early mornings, weekends and holidays.
• Ability to process high volumes of work, without errors.
• Ability to analyze, evaluate and report data without oversight.
• Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and maintain strong working relationships with others, internally and externally.
• Ability to sit and stand for long periods of time. Ability to lift 40 pounds
• Basic computer and keyboarding skills.
• Ability and willingness to work independently as well as in a team environment.
• Ability and willingness to adapt to change.
• Knowledge of laboratory rules and regulations including: CAP, CLIA and State of Florida.
• Maintains strict confidence of patient, client, company and employee information.
• Complies with policies and procedures; performs job safely with respect to others, to property, and to individual safety.
• Excellent organization skills, verbal and communication skills.
• Proudly services the company by following all HIPAA, JCAHO, state, and federal laws and standards.
• Accepts ownership for all tasks and responsibilities.
• Actively explores new educational pursuits to improve job knowledge and skills
• Complies with policies and procedures; performs job safely with respect to others, to property, and to individual safety and works effectively with others.
• Maintains good attendance and punctuality.
EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING:
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Science degree meeting state licensure requirements (64B3-5.003).
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
• State of Florida – Required Technologist Licensed in these specialties: Clinical Chemistry, Hematology, Microbiology.