Laboratory Assistant / Specimen Accessioning
We are building a new team of professionals and have an opening for the position of Laboratory Assistant / Specimen Accessioning. This position is the entry point of the Laboratory and the key to having an efficient and streamlined operation. As a part of the Laboratory team you can make a difference in peoples lives, every day. The ideal applicant will have previous Laboratory experience or, Medical Assistant experience and have a working knowledge of specimen requirements for laboratory testing.
Responsibilities of the Specimen Accessioner
Your primary responsibilities would focus on triaging specimens as they arrive from our client locations, and route them by type to various staging areas for clinical testing. The triage process would include but not be limited to:
- Unpacking samples
- Identifying patient demographics and provider requested testing
- Identify registration issues / errors and resolving with the client
- Handling of human samples in the form of blood, urine, and other tissue
- Order entry via LIS, (Laboratory Information System)
- Specimen labeling, aliquoting, processing in-house & send-out testing
- Client service & customer support over the phone and on-line
Performs all paperwork, technical, and non-technical procedures required to process and submit specimens. Assigns specific computer-generated identification numbers, checks for accuracy, and records all items processed. Forwards accessioned specimens to designated laboratory location(s); and locating and correcting any discrepancies. Learns and keeps familiar with lab procedures and location of stored specimens. Locates specimens and pulls from various departments as requested.