Clinical Laboratory Manager
Location : Ft. Pierce
Job Type : Direct
Hours : Full Time
Required Years of Experience : 5 + Managerial
Required Education : BS degree as Med Tech or equivalent
Travel : No
Relocation : No
Job Industry : Healthcare - Health Services
Job Category : Healthcare - Laboratory/Pathology Services
Job Description :
The Clinical Laboratory Manager is responsible for the overall operation of the
lab and the competency of all laboratory personnel. The Clinical Laboratory Manager
assumes responsibility for the administrative. organizational. and professional activities of
the clinical laboratory. The lab is accredited with JCAHO and provides services including
Hematology, Chemistry. Toxicology, Microbiology. Serology and Molecular testing.
Tasks may include but are not limited to:
- Oversees the laboratory quality assurance program to include specimen collection.
handling, and reporting. quality control and documentation review, and proficiency testing.
Ensures quality laboratory services for pre-analytic, analytic and post-analytic phases of
- Ensures laboratory facilities are adequate for safe and accurate testing.
- Establishes and enforces safety policies and procedures.
- Researches, acquires and implements procedures for laboratory equipment as required per
- Ensures quality, accurate and reliable test results.
- Ensures remedial actions are taken and documented when necessary.
- Supervises, directs and monitors performance of laboratory technologists and
- Must be accessible to the laboratory to provide onsite, telephone or electronic consultation
- Hires, provides training for, and evaluates the necessary qualified laboratory staff to
adequately perform general and protocol specific lab procedures.
- Schedules laboratory staffing.
- Participates in Sponsor audits and site visits, as applicable.
- Writes reviews and updates Clinical Laboratory Procedure Manual(s).
Orders and maintains inventory of laboratory and medical supplies.
- Reviews quality control and maintenance reports on a regular basis.
- Complies with CLIA guidelines and regulations for laboratory accreditation and
- Responsible for requesting. scheduling and attending any training required for this position.
- Establishes quality measures and looks for ways to improve efficiencies and cost controls.
- Perform other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed above are
representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; excellent attention to detail; exceptional
organizational and planning skills. Able to project and coordinate clinic needs in advance.
Needs to have very good trouble shooting and conflict resolution skills.
- In-depth knowledge of the clinical research process, including Good Clinical Practices and
ICH guidelines; ability to make good, sound decisions under stress and with time restraints;
ability to forecast potential problems in multiple departments.
- Possible equipment includes, but is not limited to: computers, rolling carts, fax machine,
photocopier, telephone, lab apparatus, mop/broom, needles, centrifuges, scales,
calculators, and microscopes.
Required Qualifications :
- Required: Bachelor of Science degree with certification as a Medical Technologist or
- State of Florida Clinical Laboratory Supervisor License, all lab specialties.
- Minimum 5 years' experience in laboratory management.
- The Clinical Laboratory Manager directly supervises Full-Time Medical
Technologists/Medical Laboratory SCientists, Full-Time Medical Laboratory Technicians,
PRN Medical Technologists/Medical Laboratory Scientists, and PRN Medical Laboratory
- The Clinical Laboratory Manager is responsible for planning, sta~ng, and performing any
needs for clinical trials within the Clinical Laboratory. He/she is responsible ensuring all staff
within the Clinical Laboratory are trained, equipment is calibrated, and all data is reported
with accuracy and efficiency.
- The Clinical Laboratory Manager will have a large amount of contact with staff, equipment,
supply vendors and a small amount of contact with clients. Professionalism will be of the
utmost importance as a representative of our organization.
- Possible mental demands include, but are not limited to: reading, math, writing, intense
concentration, verbal communication, written communication, client contact, and attention to
detail, multiple tasks, frequent interruptions, fluctuation in work load.
- Possible physical demands include but are not limited to: lifting and carrying of objects
weighing 5-50 Ibs., hearing, seeing, gross and fine motor use of upper extremities, kneeling,
walking, standing, leaning over for extended periods of time, squatting, eye strain/fatigue,
climbing, pushing, pulling, reaching, and exposure risk to potentially infectious blood and/or
body fluids, and/or hazardous fumes or chemicals.